Thursday, February 7, 2008

Surprise in a Service 2

Inspired by my previous post, I am actively thinking of "scripting" services. In a way, service design is exactly that, but I wonder how it'd be to think of it like an out and out writer. What would be the "acts" of a service? The plot points, the catalysts,the protagonist? (I know the antagonist would be the customer care...hehehe...).

I am going to start by making up my own service genres. This won't be based on subjective feelings but more on universal experiences. For instance, something like "good service" doesn't qualify as a service genre, but something like "surprsing service" does. To add to the genres, I'll go with "regular service", "slick service", "thrilling service"...get the drift?

Clearly I am coming up with them based on films and/or video games. To elaborate on my point, I think "Ocean's Eleven", "The Italian Job", "Mission Impossible" , "National Treasure" can all be termed "slick flicks". Whether you like them or not, is another matter. The intent is to make it slick.

Put simply then, what genre of service would you intend to design?

No comments: